This basic avocado toast hits the spot every time. Mashed avocado atop a sturdy base of good bread - this is hands-down the best avocado toast recipe.
Sure, fancy toppings are great. But sometimes, all you want is straight-up, basic avo toast.
Whether you eat it on its own or finish with your favourite toppings, this recipe makes a delicious breakfast or light lunch.
With a few simple ingredients, this simple avocado toast recipe comes together to be perfectly balanced thanks to a few special additions. It's
- Highly- customisable
What You Need
To create premium, cafe-quality avocado toast, it's important to dedicate a little attention to the ingredients. While you can finish this off with your favourite toppings (see suggestions below), these are the absolute essentials.
- Good sourdough bread: We love the flavour that a good sourdough imparts on avocado toast. Plus, it's good for your gut health too, adding extra nutritional value to your meal. If you don't have (or don't like) sourdough, you can swap it for whole grain bread, whole wheat bread, or any artisan bread of choice. We'd avoid plain white bread here, as the texture can be a bit too soft, yielding soggy avocado toast. If you do want to use white bread, make sure you select a thick-sliced bread for best results.
- Avocado: This is a pretty obvious ingredient, but to make avocado mash, you do in fact need an avocado! Make sure you use ripe avocados to ensure that your mashed avocado turns out as tasty as possible. Shepard and Haas both work well, so opt for whatever is in season to save money.
- Olive oil: A drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil takes this recipe to the next level. If you're not already using high-quality olive oil, let this recipe be your sign. You really can taste the difference in olive oil quality, so do yourself a favour and splurge on this essential ingredient. You don't need to get too fancy with it, either. There are several delicious supermarket brands to choose from, including our favourite Red Island (not sponsored, it's just an SFF staple.)
- Lemon: A squeeze of lemon juice makes any avocado toast 100x times better. The sour zing is a great counter to the creamy flavour of mashed avocado, really opening up the flavour and resulting in perfect avocado toast. We like to err on the side of more lemon juice, but start small and add more as needed.
- Sea salt: Just like high-quality EVOO, flaky sea salt is another pantry staple that we love using to make things feel a little bit more gourmet. Regardless of what salt you use, just make sure it’s enough to add a nice depth of flavour. We don't recommend skipping the salt here, as a pinch of salt adds to the flavour.
- Chilli flakes: If you like adding a little spice, then you can't go wrong with chilli/red pepper flakes.
Additional Topping Ideas
The best part about this recipe is that you can use this basic guide as a base to create a delicious healthy breakfast. Here are a few great avocado toast toppings to try:
- fresh herbs (such as fresh basil, mint or coriander)
- Poached, fried or hard-boiled eggs
- Pico de gallo or hot sauce
- hemp seeds
- tomato slices (or sliced cherry tomatoes)
- sliced red onion
- smoked salmon
- goat cheese
- bagel seasoning
- black pepper
- lime juice (swap for lemon juice or use in addition)
It might be difficult to transport avocado toast, but it is possible. We recommend transporting it either as a sandwich, or disassembled. To do this, season the mashed avocado and place it in a small airtight container. When you're ready to eat, spread the avocado spread onto your toast.
You can toast bread in a skillet instead! Heat your skillet over medium heat, then add the bread. Toast on one side until golden brown, then flip and toast on the other side.
Odds are, you aren't seasoning the smashed avo mixture enough. Try adding more salt, oil and lemon juice, and see if that improves things. Also, you'd be surprised at how much bread quality can impact the taste of this simple dish. Experiment with different options until you find the best bread for your taste.
Like this recipe? Leave a rating and comment to help others find it! 😊