This strawberry kiwi oatmeal makes the perfect healthy, vegan breakfast. Topped with summer-y fruits, this oat bowl is perfect for any time of year.
Not only does this oatmeal taste amazing, but it's also a very healthy brekkie option. Packed full of chia seeds, these oats give a generous dose of omega-3 (important for vegans to fit into their diet). Another benefit? Fibre.
Chia seeds and oats both contain a significant amount of fibre, which is essential for good gut health. This recipe altogether has 18.9 grams of dietary fibre! Talk about starting your day off on the right foot.
Strawberry Kiwi Oatmeal Ingredients
- Water: I like to cook my oats with water, otherwise, I run out of almond milk too quickly. Feel free to use any milk you like though if that's how you prefer your oats.
- Oats: I used rolled oats. If you try it with steel-cut, let me know how it goes!
- Chia seeds: A generous serving of chia seeds makes these oats thick and packed with nutrients.
- Vanilla extract: Optional, but adds more flavour.
- Cinnamon: My favourite spice to add to oats, always gotta have some cinnamon.
- Cardamom: Cardamom brings such a nice depth of flavour to any recipe. I find it works well in things that you add cinnamon to anyway. Plus, it has antioxidant properties.
- Sea salt: Trust me, a pinch of sea salt in your oats takes them to the next level.
- Kiwi: I used a golden kiwi in this because I love them, and they just bring a bit more sweetness.
- Strawberry jam: Use any store-bought or homemade jam you'd like!
- Shredded coconut: I mostly just added this for the aesthetic (lol), but if you've got some on hand, why not add it?
Can This Oatmeal Be Made in a Microwave?
You can also make these oats in the microwave if cooking oats on the stovetop seems like too much of a hassle. I would keep all ingredient amounts the same but add the water gradually, instead of all at once. I would also recommend using a very large bowl so that when the water boils, it doesn't overflow.
Here's how I would make this recipe in the microwave:
- Add the ingredients from step 1 into a large bowl, using only 1 cup water instead of 2
- Microwave for 1-2 minutes, take out and stir.
- Add ½ cup water to the bowl, microwave 30 seconds- 1 minute.
- Take out, stir, and add another ½ cup of water.
- Microwave for another 30 seconds- 1 minute.
- Top with desired ingredients, and enjoy.
Like this recipe? I think you'd also love: