These pumpkin overnight oats are delicious! Easily made vegan, this is the perfect breakfast meal prep you can make in the evening and enjoy the next morning.
What could be better than overnight oats? Pumpkin overnight oats, of course! Full of fall flavour (and some sneaky veg), these overnight oats transform your usual rolled oats into a delightful, easy breakfast that incorporates the autumnal flavours of pumpkin pie.
Take advantage of pumpkin season with this easy recipe - we're sure you'll love it!
Why it Works
Instead of using yoghurt (as many overnight oat recipes do), this recipe swaps it out for pumpkin puree. The soft texture and subtly sweet flavour marry perfectly with the creaminess of overnight oats.
Using pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon rounds out the autumnal flavour profile for a recipe that's truly delicious. Not to mention - it's also a great way to sneak in some extra veggies into your diet.
Like most make-ahead breakfasts, the magic of this recipe lies in its convenience. If you hate busy mornings (who doesn't), these pumpkin oats just might be a lifesaver. By making a single serving or big batch the night before, you'll have a healthy breakfast option ready to go for you and your family.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Rolled oats: We use rolled oats in this recipe, as the big oat pieces make for a gorgeous texture. If you prefer, you can also substitute quick oats or old-fashioned oats instead. We don't recommend using steel-cut oats, as the texture is quite different and won't absorb the liquid as well.
- Milk: Use your milk of choice. The photographed oats were made with oat milk, but any variety will work. Almond milk, cashew milk, and coconut milk are great non-dairy milks to use here. If you don't mind dairy, regular milk such as whole milk, non-fat or skim will work.
- Pumpkin puree: If it's available to you, canned pumpkin puree will make this recipe super easy. If not, homemade pumpkin puree works well too. See notes in the recipe for tips to make your own pumpkin puree.
- Maple syrup: We use pure maple syrup to add sweetness and depth to this recipe. If you don't have maple syrup, brown sugar or coconut sugar will result in a similarly rich flavour. Honey is also a great option and one that many people will already have on hand.
- Chia seeds: Chia seeds help thicken up these oats while adding a dose of healthy fats. If you don’t have chia seeds, you can use ground flax meal, but the oats won’t be as thick.
- Vanilla: If you don't have vanilla, feel free to leave it out. It adds delicious flavour, but is a small amount and won't make or break the recipe.
- Pumpkin pie spice mix: Pumpkin pie spice mix can be hard to find, so if you don't have it, feel free to use cinnamon instead. You can also use half the amount of allspice for a slightly different flavour but a similar result.
- Sea salt: Just a pinch adds a lot of dimension, but you can leave it out if you prefer.
- Nuts/seeds/nut butter (optional): These are optional additions but taste great topping these oats. To stay super on theme, sprinkle a few pumpkin seeds on top!
Yes! To eat them warm, simply pop these oats in the microwave for about one to two minutes before eating.
If you'll be eating your oats at home, you can simply cover the bowl with a sheet of foil. If you want to have them ready to go, however, we recommend storing them in an airtight container or mason jar so that you can easily transport them to work/school/etc.
Letting your oats sit overnight allows them to absorb liquid and reach that delicious, creamy texture. For some people, it's about convenience. For others, it will make the oatmeal easier to digest.
These overnight oats can sit in the fridge for up to three days. Because of the puree, we don't recommend letting the sit longer, as it might impact the pumpkin flavour which can turn slightly sour the longer it sits.
If you like these overnight oats, you'll also love:
- Lotus Biscoff Spread Overnight Oats
- Strawberry Cheesecake Overnight Oats
- Zucchini Bread Overnight Oats
Love this recipe? Leave a comment and a star rating to help others find it!