These black forest baked oats are the perfect indulgent (yet kinda-healthy) breakfast for chocolate lovers.
I remember the first time I tried black forest cake and my mind was blown. For years afterwards, my standard birthday cake was always black forest. The kind from the grocery store, filled with super-sweet cherry filling and sugar whipped cream on top.
It's been ages since I've even thought of black forest cake, but now that I'm apparently obsessed with baked oats, and their cakey goodness, I knew I had to make a black forest version.
What is Black Forest?
In addition to being a forest in Germany, "Black Forest" also refers to a popular cake flavour. Foodimentary expalins: "Typically, Black Forest cake consists of several layers of chocolate cake, with whipped cream and cherries between each layer. Then the cake is decorated with additional whipped cream, maraschino cherries, and chocolate shavings."
The cake isn't actually named after the forest, but for a cherry liquor in the region.
What are Baked Oats?
Baked oats are my latest obsession. They're also a huge trend on TikTok, which has inspired all of these recipes. Baked oats are kind of like oatmeal, with stuff mixed in then baked. This version blends oat mixture first so that they turn cake-like while baking.
Ingredients for Black Forest Baked Oats and Substations
- Egg replacer: My go-to is McKenzie’s Vegan Egg Replacer. You can also use a flax egg, though. Or regular egg for non-vegans.
- Banana: If you hate banana, you can swap this out for 50g coconut or dairy yogurt
- Oats: The backbone of baked oats
- Soy milk: Use any milk you like
- Cacao powder: Cocoa powder would also work
- Maple Syrup: Use any sweetener you like. Sugar, sweet drops, brown sugar, agave, honey... all would work
- Baking powder: Helps it rise
- Sea salt: Not necessary, but great for depth of flavour
- Cherry jam: I used St Dalfour Black Cherry Spread. Any cherry jam will do, you can also use a different flavour, but it won't really be "Black Forest"
- Pitted cherries: Cute to put on top and adds a good bite of fruit. I used frozen, but you can also opt for fresh if you have them
Let me know what other baked oats flavours you'd like to see in the comments down below!